Friday, December 18, 2009

Eat This!

So I know I talked about how much I like the video blogs and such, but today I am going to write this one, because I feel like it provides a better means to get my point across.

So this week we started learning how to classify things into categories in my writing Japanese class. The professor started the class by giving us a list of objects and he told us to classify them into 3 groups, with each groups being able to have any number of objects. The objects were: a book, a comic book, a backpack, magnifying glass, wine, a dog, robot, cell phone, clock, laptop, and a high class handbag.

So the professor split us up into groups of 3, and I was paired with the 2 Americans next to me. We said that the robot, cell phone, clock, and laptop were in a group that used electricity, we made up a story about a boy going out with his dog, comic book, backpack, and magnifying glass for an adventure, and we said the wine, book, and handbag were things an adult would have. Pretty simple.

After about 5 minutes the professor went around to each group, and wrote their classifications on the board. The last group was a group of 5 students from China, and so the professor asks, "Ok, last group. What did you guys do?" (In Japanese btw.) So they answered that they put the things that use electricity into one group (robot cell phone clock laptop), the things that you might carry around (book comic book magnifying glass backpack handbag), and for the final group, which leaves the wine and the dog, they classified them as...things you eat.

2 comments: