Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hi there!

How often do you say hello during the day? 10 times? 20 times? Do you say hello, good morning, whatever to every single person you see?

When I first started studying Japanese, I never realized how important simple words like good morning, good afternoon, and good evening would be. You see, every time I go to soccer, I use one of these...maybe 15-20 times. You literally have to say it to almost everyone on the team. So let's say there are 30 people on the team, and you arrive after 4 other people, you will have to say 'hello' to each of the next 25 people that come. I guess I don't really have a problem saying hello that many times, but to be honest it is starting to wear on my nerves a little bit. It is definitely one of those group aspects of Japanese society, where you have to greet everyone in the group before anything can happen. I was trying to think back to my high school soccer days, and what it would have been like if I would have said hello to every single person each time I went to practice and I literally just started laughing by myself, at which point several of the other guys gave me funny look.

But seriously, it is something that happens every single practice, every single day.

I had a good time this past Monday night as well. After my 4 hour Japanese zemi class, we all went out for a drink to a place called Tapa. I'm not sure if the name of the bar/restaurant has any significance, but it was actually my second time going to the place. We ordered the, all you can drink all you can eat 2 hour deal, sat down, and waited for our drinks to come. The system at this place was if you have 13 people, you can order 13 dishes, and when you finish one, you can order one more.

Now when I first came to this place with the soccer team, I think there were 10-15 starving guys, so we developed a pretty good system. As soon as the waiter came and put down the first plate or bowl of food, say for instance 5 hot wings, we would instantly grab all 5 of them, start eating them, give the waiter the plate back, and order another dish, thus maximizing the amount of food we could order.

It was a good system, but this place was still super slow. This past Monday, we sat down at 6:30, ordered, got our drinks within 5 minutes, but our first round of food didn't come until 6:50, and a bunch of our food never even came at all. We ordered 4 orders of karage, or basically fried chicken ball appetizers, that come in a single bowl, with one bowl holding 4 chicken balls. At 6:50, a waitress came up the stairs (we were on the second floor), with 1 single bowl of karage, that had 4 pieces of fried chicken in it. As soon as she left we were all discussing just what the f happened. Where were the other 3 orders of the karage? One of the other guys suggested that we ordered 4 orders of karage, and that since the bowl had 4 pieces of chicken in it, supposedly the place had filled our order of karage.

I quickly objected, pointing to the picture of a bowl of karage on the menu, saying that there is no way an order is a single piece of fried chicken. Then pointing to the picture above that of a bowl packed with fries, I asked 'What if we order fries? If we order 4 orders of fries are we going to only get literally 4 fries?' This actually made everyone laugh (including the professor), and I don't like to brag about my jokes because 99% of the time they are horrible anyway, but there are very few opportunities where my language and cultural Japanese abilities align with a situation where I can really get a good joke in. I have to admit I am super proud of this one.

3 comments:

  1. good show on the humor! it is hard to be humorous when the tummy is empty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I 'hello' to you, same spell in bahasa (Indonesian). Keep in touch, haik ;o)

    http://ligafantasi.blogspot.com/2010/05/10-names-who-could-have-been.html

    ReplyDelete