Saturday, October 10, 2009

Funderstorm

So its around 6:00 in the evening on Saturday night here, and it is currently thundering. I love thunderstorms, or as my neighbor just called them, funderstorms. Japanese thunder does sound a bit strange, it doesn't really roll and tumble like it does in Ohio, it just all falls over in a giant heap, to put it strangely.

The other night, I was sitting in my room dead tired after a day of classes and soccer practice, just watching a tv show, when my door burst open and a guy rushes into my room. He was Asian, but we had never met and I had no idea who he was. He stops, looks around, and says "whoa this isn't my room," to which I replied "umm yeah its mine." He started to laugh and I was still relatively shocked and he started jabbering on in Chinese or something and then he said his name was Lin. So we did the whole introduction thing, which country are you from? Hows your Japanese? Do you play any sports?

Well turns out he is from China (duh) and he has never studied Japanese, and he plays Baminton. Today he made me a chicken wing (???) which I just ate. It was spicy.

So far though I have really enjoyed Japanese society. One of the things that I enjoy the most is how the Japanese eat. If you have food in front of you, it is proper to eat it. Obviously manner with chopsticks (hasi) is important, and it is always polite to refill the drink of your neighbor. (p.s. doing this will make Japanese people go nuts. It is a tradition that really only occurs in formal or special circumstances, and so for instance you and your 3 other friends are out eating out and you refill their drinks, it will really show some class. I guarantee it.)

In other news, I have a soccer game that I have to go to tomorrow. We have to meet at 7:30 which is a bit early in the morning but supposedly it is far away and I think it will be a lot of fun.
I will definitely take my camera, so I can put up a couple pictures from the game.

As for my classes, so far I have Japanese society (Canadian prof, good class), Japanese Economics (Japanese prof, pretty bad so far), WW2 present day problems and issues in Japan (English professor, not exactly the class I thought it would be) and Soviet Russia in the 20th century (American Prof, great class). 2/4 right now, maybe things will improve.

Time to go eat some cheese that NASA blasted off the moon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment