Monday, September 28, 2009

Bibbling Babbling Brook

So today I decided to follow the path that goes along with this famous river that runs through campus. It has a cool name and some special history which I dont remember at all, but it was a lot of fun!

The river itself starts out in the Southwest corner of the university, and runs all the way up to the northeast corner. It has a small path that runs alongside of it, and in general is pretty nice. I would put up a picture here but quite frankly i dont know how. The river itself is very clean and shallow, starting from a spring and running quite quickly through some twists and bends around a park, then passes under a bridge.

The weather was pretty cold, with high winds and overcast, but it was still rather beautiful outside. The karas were loud and obnoxious as usual, but I am getting a little bit more accustomed to them.

Continuing on, it runs past some tennis courts where several people were getting there game on, and through some secluded corners and paths. I would like to note here that I have seen several ominous webs, spanning large distances. They were pretty cool, however I would NOT like to meet their makers.

Then on the left, I came upon a large wooded building that looked very old and had a dry funny smell to it. Upon further examination, it was the Kyudo (archery building) for the University. I crept around one side and found an entrance where I could see inside and was surprised to see a
rack of bows, all about as tall as I am. A dude was also in the middle of shooting an arrow, and he was doing everything very deliberately and slowly. It was pretty cool to watch.

Following the brook a bit further I found that it actually continues into the pond that I talked about in my earlier post. Who knew?


And 2 quick funny stories.

1. my friend and I are walking through JUSCO (see the movie kamikaze girls and you will know why I think that alone is funny) which is basically an American Walmart, and there is an older women standing next to a coffee machine. My friend quickly asks me something, however I didn't fully understand, and seeing as how I just got here I didn't really want to purchase a 115 dollar coffee machine yet. He mumbles something to the women and she promptly makes him a coffee drink. A small light turns on in my head, realizing that he wasn't asking me if I would like to buy it, but if I would like to try it. He too realized that that was what I had thought, and said that out loud, in earshot of 2 other old ladies who started laughing at the big tall moronic foreigner.

2. There is a co-op at the university, and I was trying to find it. I had been given directions from a friend and was pretty sure I had the right place, however after asking 2 of the employees there if I could sign up for it, neither of them had any idea what I was talking about. So I concluded that I must have been in the wrong place, and gave up. (insert picture here if I could) The building I was in was 4 stories tall, and on the outside in GIANT GREEN BOLD LETTERS WAS "CO-OP". Shame on those employees for not knowing they WORKED in the co-op, and shame on me for giving up because I have walked past that building about 10 times now.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having a pretty good time so far. Adding pictures on blogspot is easy, I think you just click the little picture icon at the top and upload. However, getting them to agree with your text is a completely different story.

    Marie says you should be fine there because you're blond, and the Japanese love blonds, haha.

    ReplyDelete